Comprehensive Design Architects
Renovation of existing 5 storey building situated on the corner of St Andrew Square, Edinburgh. The ambition is to develop the existing office space at levels 1-4 into a more contemporary environment with a design and fit-out. In addition to the office refurbishment, a new retail shell for a restaurant tenant is to be created at ground/mezzanine levels within the property this element forms part of a separate enabling works contract. The building is unoccupied apart from 'Tiles Bar' at ground floor level and a temporary lease at third floor level.
The original building was designed as a 4 storey office with attic space by Alfred Waterhouse in 1892, using a mix of polished / ashlar red sandstone with an octagonal 6-stage corner turret and 3 bay arcaded windows to South St Andrew Street. With the exception of Tiles Bar and the office space directly above fronting on to St Andrew Square, the interior of the space was largely demolished and rebuilt using steel frame / concrete floor construction in 1993. The building is B-listed.
St Andrew Square represents a key location in the city centre of Edinburgh. It is in close proximity to the major commercial thoroughfare of Princes Street and the city's main train and bus stations.